It’s important to do a quick look over your body now and then for any irregular moles or bumps, especially if you have over 100 moles, you’re at a higher risk for skin cancer. As an esthetician, I always keep an eye on my clients and will mention if something looks irregular, I recommend they see a dermatologist.
- Asymmetry: If you draw a line through the mole, and the two halves do not match, this is a warning sign.
- Border: The borders of early melanoma tend to have uneven edges
- Color: Malignant moles have different shades of browns, blacks, blues or even white
- Diameter: If the diameter is larger than a pencil tip eraser, it could signal an abnormality
- Evolving: If a mole is crusting, itching or bleeding and/or changes over time in shape, size, color or elevation, get this checked
Photo source: SkinCancer.org